Whether you are new to reading the Bible or someone who has grown up with it, we offer a place where the riches of the world’s greatest book can be more deeply explored. We also offer various other classes which will help you grow in other ways as well.
Ongoing Class Selections
- This class is held on Sundays from 10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. Each course segment consist of four sessions, This class is held in Room B21, and is led by Dan McMillan. This class is offered FREE of charge. Register Here. Are you new to Custer Road UMC and still not found a small-group connection? Have you been visiting for a while or perhaps you are a long time member and are still looking for a small group? If you answered yes, we have a perfect course offering just for you – The New Connections Class. This course will focus on three basic elements of the Christian life: (1) Who We Are – Christian Identity, (2) What We Do – Christian Practices and (3) How We Serve – Basic Christian Service. This will be a fantastic way to get connected and enliven your faith journey through fellowship and learning.
Dan McMillan is a long-time United Methodist from Lubbock, Texas and a 25 year member of Custer Road UMC. Dan has served in a number of leadership roles at Custer Road and is a gifted teacher and leader. Dan is a self-described uncle, friend, student, reader, teacher, beginner, pilgrim, sinner in many aspects, and one who strives daily to be a follower of Jesus of Nazareth, The Christ. Dan and his wife Laurie have two older children, Garret and Madeline.
- This class is held on Sundays, once a month, from 5:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. Each class is one session. This class is held in Room B11, and is led by Jerry Butler. This class is offered FREE of charge. Register Here. Ever wanted to know some basics facts about the Bible? Have you felt a need to read Scripture on a regular basis but were not sure where to start? Bible 101 is a one-session, two hour course being offered on an on-going basis that will provide you with some basic information about the Bible and some tools for reading and personal study. Whether you are just getting started or have been engaged with Scriptures for years, this course is for you!
Jerry Butler serves as Director of Adult Ministry at Custer Road UMC. As a frequent Bible study facilitator, Sunday school teacher, and guest lecturer, he is passionate about Church history and discussing how we can actively live out our Faith in the world. Jerry received a BBA and MBA with a focus on marketing from LeTourneau University and is currently working on a Masters of Divinity at Perkins School of Theology, SMU.
Spring 2017 Bible Studies
- This class is held on Wednesdays from 11:45 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. There are 8 sessions, beginning on March 15, 2017 This class is $13, is held in room B4 and will be led by Merrigale Allen. Register HERE. The city of ancient Corinth was much like our own modern-day cities: a melting pot of electrifying cultural experiences to be had, along with the myriad pitfalls of spiritual depravity. Still, Paul wrote to the church of God in Corinth. Meaning God’s church is meant to thrive in any city and every circumstance in which we find ourselves. Paul’s letter is as timely as ever. In All Things New, participants will explore the anchoring truths of bearing treasures in jars of clay, meeting Christ through a pressing thorn, opening wide your heart in the midst of hurtful relationships, and what it means to embrace the lost and lonely as ministers of the new covenant. Each of us has a message to proclaim and live by: Because of Jesus the old has gone, the new has come.
Merrigale Allen has been a member of CRUMC and Chancel Choir since 2008. Having led many Bible Study groups, Merrigale is a devoted student of Scripture and a gifted teacher.
- This class is held on Wednesdays from 11:45 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. Beginning on Jan 11, 2017 This class is offered FREE of Charge, is held in room B6 and will be led by Tim Pullen and George Lynch. Register HERE. According the International Bible Society, the Book of Acts of the Apostles provides a bridge for the writings of the NT. As a second volume to Luke’s Gospel, it joins what Jesus “began to do and to teach” as told in the Gospels with what he continued to do and teach through the apostles’ preaching and the establishment of the church. Besides linking the Gospel narratives on the one hand and the apostolic letters on the other, it supplies an account of the life of Paul from which we can learn the setting for his letters. Geographically its story spans the lands between Jerusalem, where the church began, and Rome, the political center of the empire. Historically it recounts the first 30 years of the church. It is also a bridge that ties the church in its beginning with each succeeding age. This book may be studied to gain an understanding of the principles that ought to govern the church of any age.
Tim Pullen serves as Executive Administrator of Custer Road UMC, working with all major Church committees.
Rev. George Lynch is a retired United Methodist Elder and a member of the Jubilee Sunday School class.
- This class is held on Sundays from 5:00 – 7:00 p.m.. There are 9 sessions, beginning on Sunday, Feb. 5, 2017. The cost of this class is $100, is held in room B6 and is led by certified FPU facilitator, Penn Hoyt. Registration Closed . We all need a plan for our money. Financial Peace University (FPU) is that plan! It teaches God’s ways of handling money. Through video teaching, class discussions and interactive small group activities, FPU presents biblical, practical steps to get from where you are to where you’ve dreamed you could be. Learn how to get rid of debt, manage your money, spend and save wisely, and much more!
- This class is held on Tuesdays from 10:30 a.m. – 12:00 noon. There are five sessions, beginning on Tuesday, April 11, 2017. This course is offered FREE of charge, is held in room B5 and is led by Gene Oldham. Register Here. In the Gospel of John we read, “But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything, and remind you of all that I have said to you (John 14:26 NRSV)”. As Christians we hold these sacred words close to our hearts as we listen for the Holy Spirit’s guidance. The Holy Spirit is God’s power in action, his active force. Join us as we discuss this important aspect of the Christian Faith and discover new and vital ways to enrich and energize our faith journey.
Gene Oldham has been a member at CRUMC since 1990. He is also an active member of the Positive Thinkers Sunday School class along with his wife Linda. Over the years, Gene has served as a small group leader for several Bible Studies and Sunday School classes. Gene is a gifted teacher that brings a passion for Scripture and a wealth of Biblical knowledge to any class he leads.
Other Events and Ongoing classes:
Friday Morning Men’s Study
The Men God Uses:
Men are being touched by God all over our country, and men who have encountered God need to understand what He is doing in their lives and what their lives can mean when turned over to God. Join this group of men for study and fellowship throughout the year. Held on Fridays, 6:30 – 8 a.m., in room. 109/111. Dennis Allen leads. No cost.
Faith and Fitness:
Do you want to have fun, feel revived and be restored so you can tackle the day? Come join us at Faith & Fitness on Mondays and Thursdays in room B5 at 9:15 a.m. There is no fee for this joy-filled, low impact workout, where we get fit, laugh, talk and have a short devotional afterwards. Whether you are a church member or from the community, you are welcome to come and build lasting relationships with other Christians. During the year, occasional field trips are incorporated for social and physical enrichment. We look forward to welcoming you, whether it is on Mondays or Thursdays or both, you are welcome any time. Contact Pam Richardson by email or call 972-839-6280.