They live in a compound an hour outside of town. They have beachfront property but can’t see the ocean because of the walls that surround them. The boys and young men who live here are different. Some of them can’t speak. Some can’t walk. Some have uncontrollable habits, like eating plastic. All have some kind of mental or physical malady. They are outcasts. No one comes to see them. No one except a mission team bringing Christmas gifts and shoes.
A lot of people wouldn’t want to touch them, much less kneel before them, remove their old, dirty shoes and socks, and put on new ones. But that’s what we are called to do. When a man with leprosy (considered untouchable) asked Jesus to heal him, Jesus reached out his hand and touched the man (Luke 5:13). At the Last Supper, after Jesus washed the feet of his disciples, he told them, “And since I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you ought to wash each other’s feet” (John 13:14). We ought to go to those no one else wants to go to and do what no one else wants to do so they will see the love of God and know He hasn’t forgotten them.
While the boys who live in this compound may not be able to express their gratitude and joy with words, they express it with smiles, clapped hands, laughter, and lots of hugs. They are grateful for someone coming to visit them, grateful for human touch, and grateful for new shoes.
Help Custer Road and Shoes for Orphan Souls put new shoes on boys and girls in Peru by:
• Your March communion offering will help purchase new shoes and socks. Give your offering HERE or text the word GIVE to 972-366-4488.
• Purchase NEW shoes and socks and bring them to the Mission Donation Area anytime in March. Athletic shoes are preferred, for children from birth to 18 years old.
• Bring new shoes and socks to the foot of the cross during the drive-thru Good Friday Journey to the Cross, April 2, 6:30-8pm in the church parking lot.
• Volunteering to sort shoes for international shipping at the Buckner Humanitarian Aid Center in Mesquite on Friday, March 19 or Monday, April 12, noon – 2:30 p.m. Sign-up here!
• Praying for Buckner staff who will deliver the shoes and the children who will receive them. Unfortunately, mission trips are cancelled due to COVID, but in-country staff will still deliver the shoes!
For more information on how you can help, contact Lanie Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Share This Post